Dance In Broad Perspectives – The NDS Annual Conference and International Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Dance and Sport
Please BOOK the Hilton San Antonio Airport Hotel by JUNE 13 to get the special rate!!
Read about the exciting RIVERWALK excursion HERE. You can pay for it above on our payment page. You can also order your T-shirt through the direct link on the bottom of the Registration Form above, in case you forgot. You pay for that on the payment page also.
About The Conference:
The National Dance Society is pleased to announce its 7th Annual Dance Conference to be held in San Antonio, TX, July 7 – 9, 2022, at the Hilton San Antonio Airport Hotel. This will be a joint event with the International Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Dance and Sport which will be holding its annual World Congress.
NDS will offer two pre-conference workshops on the afternoon of July 6, 2022, in addition to many sessions during the main event.
IAHPEDS will offer three pre-conference workshops the morning of July 6.
OVERALL CONFERENCE ACTIVITIES
Opening General Session 2 Pre-conference workshops (Plus 3 IAHPEDS)
Evening Concert 15 Movement Sessions
Closing/Awards 13 Lecture Sessions
NDS Featured Speaker for Dance:
Sally Jacques, founder of Blue Lapis Light, creates site-specific aerial dance works that speak to social, political and spiritual dilemmas. A native of England, Jacques’ early career included international performances in Munich, Barcelona, Vienna and Costa Rica and she studied dance at The Place and The Contemporary Dance Center in London, attended the Lee Strasberg Drama School in New York to study improvisation and acting, and she studied experimental theatre at the Institut del Teatre de Barcelona and movement at the Oval Theatre in London as a protege of John Trigger. Jacques has been the Recipient of numerous accolades, including the Susan B. Anthony Award for Peace, the 1994 New Forms Regional Initiative Grant (NFRIG) funded by the NEA, the Rockefeller Foundation and the Andy Warhol Foundation, induction in the other Austin Arts Hall of Fame in 2007, and a 2008 nomination for a United States Artists Fellowship. Jacques is a featured choreographer in the recently published book “Site Dance” (University Press of Florida). She was included in the 2006 “Faces of Austin” installation at the Austin City Hall. Her work has been cited in publications around the globe and her performances have been featured on PBS. For many years, Jacques taught movement to at-risk teenagers, prison inmates, senior citizens, and the differently-abled, making dance accessible for all, and currently, Blue Lapis Light mentors young dancers through the Youth Taking Flight program.
Street Dance, Hip Hop, Social Dancing, American Cabaret Belly Dancing, Fanga, Art of Castanets, Appalachian Flatfoot Porch Dancing, TEX-MEX Contemporary Fusion, Dunham Style Ballet, Stretching, Foot Strengthening, Inclusion, Social/Emotional Learning, Self-Identity and Expression, Writing/Publishing, Finding Your Creative Voice, Teacher Talk From, Dance Ed in Schools, Advocating for Youth Dance, Creative Dance for Young Children, Delta Eta Pi (Honor Society).
SOMETHING for EVERYONE
Conference Purpose: To engage individuals in a diverse and holistic approach to dance in the 21st century.
- Promote use of the national/state dance education standards, along with the existing health and physical education standards, to design quality school curricula.
- Acknowledge the dance field as a partner in improving the learning processes and promoting academic success.
- Promote the values of dance in establishing healthy living behaviors, preventing and controlling disease and disability, reducing the impact of certain diseases and disabilities on individuals, and promoting safe dancing habits.
- Promote the physical, social, and emotional health and well-being of youth through dance programs in schools and communities.
Support scholarship and research regarding connections between dance and healthful living.
- Build a capacity for improved dance education programs within a variety of school and community settings: fine arts, physical education, after-school, private sectors, recreation programs, health and wellness facilities, and assisted living facilities for the elderly.
Offerings and Opportunities:
- International Research and Pedagogical sessions
- Both organizations are dedicated to bringing together practitioners and researchers to create Unique Global Connections in health, physical education, dance and sport, and participate in Dance in Broad Perspectives.
You can reserve a room from our block at Hilton San Antonio Airport.
Group Name: IAHPEDS (NOT NDS); Group Code: AHPEDS (NOT NDS).